Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Subscription policy of Apple convinced me to sell my iPad

I like Apple products, but I don't patronize exclusively to them. I am a firm believer in embracing the technology that does what I need, and I would like to distribute my money around to keep things too. I bought an iPad when it was released as I knew that fits my needs. Late last year I grabbed a small tablet which has better fit my lifestyle, and even if iPad is used less frequently, I hesitated to sell it because I like. That changed today with the new Apple's policy for subscriptions, as I have no desire to give Apple 30% of these fees in Cupertino. My iPad is now on sale.

I won't rehash of politics, as you can find around the web, but in a nutshell the Apple is forcing all companies who sell subscriptions on iOS devices to give them 30% of the spoils. Which is important since subscriptions are not the same as selling app, are ongoing and often auto-renewed when the subscription period ends. This means that Apple can get a healthy tax cut of every company ad infinitum.

I like good software, services and content in subscription and enjoy rewarding companies that produce them with my subscription cash. I have a real problem with a company that is simply providing a vehicle for content to take a reduction that is healthy and deny alternative methods to sell the content providers.

Pay for my subscription for Pandora music because it's a great service, because it is not available on iPad. Listen to it everywhere, on all my mobile devices. The same goes for my library of Kindle ebook, buy it because I can read it on anything. I will give Apple 30% of the cost of these ebooks.

So Apple convinced me to sell my iPad, I will do just that. I won't miss it, the control that Apple is putting on partner (and partners) made up my mind. I won't be getting an iPad 2, either. I still have some Apple products, but only those that I need to get the job done.

James Kendrick has been using mobile devices since they weighed 30 lbs and has shared his insights on mobile technology for nearly that long.



No comments:

Post a Comment