Thursday, February 17, 2011

Internationalize this: translate tech, tweed, joke and tea

Mio Technology's Senior Editor, Jason Perlow often passes through my work and the differences of dialectic between our words and phrases of misunderstanding. From "marking" of "classification" and the constant differentiation between "school" and "College" to my native system of Collegiate and University.

There are no rights or wrongs. Except that when writing as a journalist with a predominance of international audience based in the United States. But then again, the paper "we Brits pretty much made you" gets thrown and once you have restored the status quo.

Who really discovered America, anyway?

I am under the impression after my visit to New York last year, that all people English sound like this; seemingly incomprehensible for the vast majority of Americans.

And although our English language (at least one could argue that we had in the first place) is the same, differing in such a way that makes British-written copy for readers Americans have difficulty to understand at times.

As I approach the mark three years writing for ZDNet, still I get emails from readers saying that I spell words incorrectly. Dyslexia, I wrote in my native language. When I speak with Americans, adjust the best I can, but only to extend a common courtesy; just as you would try and speak the language of your host country, while there was on vacation (vacation!).

While it is tempting to a part to flourish in a light of xenophobia and discuss on both sides, that none of us can write or spell words correctly in our native language, we should at least try to find a technology solution.

Tell Chrome, it can be done.

If Chrome can automatically translate text from websites using Google Translate facility, can not be too difficult in dialectical theory to translate texts in the same language but different from different regions.

The difference in culture between East and west coast contrasts countered the southern States of the United States could even compare to the dialectical other text constructs in the North-South divide in the United Kingdom. As a man from Northern England, my accent and language further distorts against typical view Englishman in many have had me.

So, when I would write, "well my Duck", this would be translated, "Hi, my friend." Ultimately may be part of a larger scheme to improve the language barrier that many of us feel yet.

Automatically translate the text is not an exact science and has improved considerably over the last decade. But more still needs to be done to break down the barriers of language. The web is a network of border-less, open, available to anyone and everyone to access — yet the only thing that we retain is the difference in language.

Once the translation can be burned on the web, the web is truly international. And I think, with enough time and effort, Google could be the first to do so.

Language translation is a priority for the web today?

Zack Whittaker, the youngest of ZDNet, English is a student studying an undergraduate degree in BA (Hons) Criminology and social policy at the University of Kent, Canterbury.



No comments:

Post a Comment